It's that time again....

...Time for the Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop, that is!
Our theme for September is Celebrations. If you have a celebration coming soon in your life, you can probably grab the perfect idea from this hop and make either copy it or atler it to make it your own. The design professionals on this blog hop are some of the best in the business. To see more, just press the Designer Crafts Connection button to the left and hop forward or backward to the next blog.
Be sure to go to Julie McGuffee's Blog to see how you can win A DVD set of the new TV show, Scrapbook Soup, Series 100.

! went to the Creating Keepsakes event in Nashville a few weeks ago and came home with much more than I left with...or needed, but the sight of beautiful papers and gorgeous embellishments gets me every time. It didn't help that I was with my enabler buddy Barbara Rankin. We are a disaster waiting to happen when we attend these events. If she doesn't find something unique that I must have, I find it and then she has to have it. After all, great minds think alike! Let's just say that the car rode a little lower to the ground on the way home.

As soon as I walked into the exhibit, I was immediately drawn to the Hot Off the Press paper booth. I walked in saying I was just looking. I had way too many papers already... and then I saw this Steampunk collection. That did it. I had to have it, even though I had no idea what I would do with it. Beautiful papers usually wind up in my stash of I-can't-use-this-because-I-may-never-see-it-again papers.

Celebrations always mark some sort of milestone: a birth, a birthday, a new job,a wedding, etc. I chose to use retiring as a celebration, which I have done twice, both times from the same company and same job. But that's another blog entry....

When I retired the first time, I looked back over my 25 years with the same company and could hardly believe I had been there that long. I wish I had kept a journal of my reflections at the time, because I can barely remember details of the things I thought I would never forget. This book is designed to be used by the retiree to jot down memories of the past (Reflections) and dreams for the future (Adventures).

Right now, school supplies are dirt cheap.I always use this time of year to stock up on index cards, post-it notes, crayons, pencils and notebooks, especially the old-fashioned composition book, which I snagged this week at WalMart for 40¢ each. Add some scrapbook paper, some embellishments and a little time and you have a great gift for less than $3.

Here's how I made it:

Supplies

Composition book
Steampunk Collection paper pack, four 12" x 12' sheets (Hot Off the Press)
Chipboard
Weathered Clock die (Tim Holtz Alterations, Sizzix)
Viva Décor Embossing Cream, Silver
Viva Décor Inka Gold, Cobalt Blue and Violet
Viva Décor swirl stamps
Duetica Lettering Arts Software
Embossing powders of your choice in metallic colors
Versamark Ink
Hampton Arts Graphic 45 Steampunk acrylic stamp set
Flouish stencil (Tattered Angels)
Heat Tool
Stazon Ink,Jet Black
Colorbox Chalk Ink, Chestnut Roan (Clearsnap)
Craft Knife
Tag
Walnut Ink
Beacon Zip Dry Adhesive
Large, long-shank brad
Sharpie, black, thin line
Circles from a 3/8" circle punch, Navy Blue and Silver


Directions

1. Cover book, front and back with papers from Steampunk collection.

2. Cut clock and hands from chipboard with die. Ink top and sides with black Stazon ink, then apply silver Embossing cream randomly, spreading with craft stick or palette knife. (Be sure to clean knife or stick immediately as the cream is quick drying.) Use heat tool to make cream set. Do not be alarmed if portions swell and move slightly. Cool, then apply more black Stazon randomly. Repeat on clock hands and brad head.

NOTE: When heating brad, be sure to grasp shank with a clothespin to avoid burning your fingers.

3. Glue clock to book front. Attach hands with brad.

4. Stain tag with walnut ink.When dry, lay stencil over center and rub on Cobalt Inka Gold. Apply Violet Inka Gold to edges, then apply Stazon ink to edges, Stamp swirls along bottom.Add enough twine to tag to loop to inside of book. Secure tag with glue, loop twine to inside book cover and secure with tape. Cover book inside covers with additional Steampunk papers.

5. Create labels using Duetica Lettering Arts Software and print onto cream cardstock.Trim labels and ink with Chestnut Roan ink. Attach both labels to tag.

6. Attach 3/8" Navy blue paper punches to left side of cover. Attach 3 silver punches to lower part of tag. Draw lines across each circle with Sharpie to simulate screw heads.

7. Stamp butterflies with Versamark, apply embossing powder and heat with heat tool.

NOTE: I originally used a gold embossing powder which I thought was bronze. (It was so old that the label had disappeared.) I didn't like the effect, so I heated each image again and applied a gray embossing powder. I had to do a lot of cleaning up of stray powder before I reheated it, but am much happier with the resulting color.

8. Edge book with Chestnut Roan ink as desired.These composition books are great for things that you don't want to tear out since they weren't made with torn pages in mind. The kids in my Sunday School class make these every year to write down their memory verses each week.

Now, hop to the next blog and don't forget to go to Julie McGuffee's blog to register for the prize!



Note: I received product from Clearsnap, Beacon Adhesives and Viva Décor for this project, although I would have purchased them anyway.I never promote anything that I don't believe in 100%.

Comments

Debra said…
This is stunning and I so enjoyed the personal story you shared with it!
Candice Windham said…
Thanks, Debra! I tend to get carried away with my writing and wonder sometimes if people get bored and quit reading before they get to the project.
Ann Butler said…
Candice this is a wonderful project....love your style!
jengd said…
Great journal!! Love the look!

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to Spring

A Little Wickedness

The doctor is in...