How do I Love Thee?
Click on these links to hop though the blogs:
Don't you just love Valentine's Day? My hubby and I say "I love you" at least three times a day to each other, and sometimes I catch him staring at me while I'm reading or watching tv or crafting. When I look up, he always says, "I sure do love you," and this is after almost 43 years of marriage. I'm going to return the love this Valentine's Day with this little book, based on Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnet #43, How Do I Love Thee?.
This pocket book contains tags on which I will record some of the reasons I love this man, along with photos. It's easy-peasy to make so let's get started.
- Ann Butler EZ-DEs Alphabet, 2" and Sampler Set A stamps
- Ann Butler Crafters Ink, Aquamarine and Limon
- Mat Board, 7 1/2" x 5" or ready-made cover kit from Zutter
- Patterned paper for cover, two pieces, 9" x 6 1/2"
- Patterned paper for cover liner, two pieces, 4 3/4" x 7 1/4"
- Solid cardstock for pockets, six pieces 9 1/2" x 6" (two colors, three of each)
- Patterned paper for pocket back liners, six pieces 4 1/4" x 6 1/2"
- Solid Card Stock, six pieces, three of each color, 5 1/2" x 4"
- Solid cardstock scraps for punches and die cuts
- KoolTak Premium Extreme double sided tape, 1/8" and 1/2" width
- Aleene's White Tacky Glue
- Cork sheet (Midwest)
- Heart Wings die (Tim Holtz for Sizzix)
- Sizzix Big Shot
- Heart Punch (My Jewelry Shop)
- Uniball Vision Pen, Blue
- Bone Folder
- Westcott Non-Stick Scissors
- Scoring Tool
- Computer printed words
- Binding Materials - I used my Zutter Bind-It-All, but you could also use 3 binder rings
Note: All elements are sponged on the edges with Aquamarine ink.
|Trim corners of cover paper at a 45° angle.|
- Adhere patterned paper to covers. Trim a 45° angle off each corner, leaving about 1/16 on each corner. Fold to back of cover and adhere with 1/8" tape. Apply 1/2" tape to cover liners and adhere to cover backs.
- Cut hearts from card stock scraps and stamp aquamarine ink on green hearts and Limon ink on blue with stamps from Ann's Sampler Pack.
Add stamped and cut elements to front.
- Stamp 2" alphabet stamps with Aquamarine ink on cork. Allow a few minutes to dry, then trace the outlines and swirls with the blue Uniball Vision pen.
- Trim out in squares, then layer onto blue card stock and trim to a 1/8" border. Arrange cork letters, printed words and hearts on cover and adhere with 1/2" tape or tacky glue.
- Trim the title page (Let me count the ways) to 6 1/2" x 4" and mount on 7 1/4" x 4 3/4" sheet.
|Line up texture plate on the 2 7/8" mark.|
- Mark each pocket at 2 7/8" from the left edge. Line the texture plates up on this line and run through the Big Shot, three green with one plate, three blue with the other.
- Use a scoring tool to score close to each side of the textured area and fold the flaps to the back, securing with 1/2" double stick tape down the middle. No need to tape the bottom. The binding will hold the pockets and tags in place. Ink the textures to make them pop!
NOTE: The plate will not reach all the way to the bottom of the pocket, leaving 1 1/2" plain area. This is the edge you will be binding.
|Ink pocket fronts and add back liner.|
- Adhere punch/stamped hearts along the edge of each tag. Punch additional hearts to adhere to the back side for stability.
Assemble your book in this order:
- book cover
- title page
- pockets (alternating colors)
- back cover
- Add photos and journaling on the pocket tags. There's also room on the pocket back to add additional photos.
- Add Stamped by from Ann's Sampler Set A to the inside back cover and sign your name.
If you want to include the entire Sonnet 43 as a lovely ending to this book, here it is:
How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach,when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints.
I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life;
and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death
Just print it out and adhere it to the inside back cover.
If you have any questions about this book, please email me at email@example.com.
Happy Valentine's Day!